Supreme Court Portrait Collection
The portrait collection was started during the Manning Court in the 1870’s and has been attributed to the efforts of Edward Bermudez who later served as Chief Justice of the Louisiana Supreme Court. At the time Edward Bermudez had a very successful private practice. The portraits of distinguished judges and members of the bar who had passed away were hung floor to ceiling along one wall in the courtroom at the Cabildo. In the building at 400 Royal Street the portraits are on public display on the first, second, and fourth floors of the building, as well as on the mezzanine. The portraits of the Chief Justices may be viewed in the Supreme Court Museum on the first floor. Biographical placards accompany the portraits.